Hamilton Beach 04383 A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier Review
About the Product:
With so many allergens floating in the air, it’s no surprise to see people toting tissues around all year long. What’s the worst season for allergic reactions? It’s spring, followed by fall, summer and lastly, winter. Now there’s a smarter way to deal with allergies besides carrying tissues and allergy pills everywhere you go: the Hamilton Beach 04383A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier. It offers 99% HEPA-grade cleaning performance in a compact design that fits anywhere. The Hamilton Beach 04383 A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier is stylish enough to blend in with your décor and it won’t break your budget. Its HEPA filter is permanent and never needs replacement – it simply vacuums clean for minimal upkeep.
• High-performance HEPA filter captures 99% of dander and airborne particles as small as 3 microns
• Captures particulates from pet dander, dust, dust mite debris, pollen, and mold/mildew spores
• Quiet and compact, yet offers powerful air-cleaning performance
• Permanent filter never needs replacing
• Filter vacuums clean for easy care
• Effective performance for large, 160-square-foot rooms
• Suited for the bedroom, office, den or small to medium-sized living areas
• Works horizontally or vertically, so it’s easy to move from place to place
• 3 speeds: set on High for the fastest cleaning, Medium for all-day use, or Low when extra quiet is needed
• Compact dimensions: 8.5″ L x 6″ W x 13.5″ H
• Great Air Purifier for the price.
• Customers have reported noticeable cleaner air
• Permanent filter never needs replacing.
|Hamilton Beach 04383A True Air Purifier|
More About the Product:
Not everyone is a pet owner with pet dander issues. Pollen and mold spores have their peak times and seasons and people’s sensitivity to them varies. But what about dust and dust mite debris? They “live with us” invisibly all year long. If you think about it, your home and office are not always dusted and vacuumed as thoroughly as you would like them to be. So what’s a habitual sneezer to do? With a Hamilton Beach 04383A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier, you can help make your surroundings a better place to breathe.
The Hamilton Beach 04383 A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier quietly blends in with your decor. (Since it fits on a shelf, some people mistake it for a speaker.) Taking up minimal space but packing a powerful air-cleaning punch, the Hamilton Beach 04383 A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier is not only compact and quiet; it works vertically or horizontally for maximum versatility. Four adhesive “feet” are provided in case you want to place the Hamilton Beach 04383 A TrueAir Compact Air Purifier horizontally on a table or shelf. For the best air-cleaning results, select a location with adequate air circulation. Do not use in a kitchen, garage, or area with grease, oil, or chemicals such as solvents or insecticides. Before use, be sure to remove the plastic bag around the permanent HEPA filter. It is important to vacuum the permanent filter regularly. Depending on usage, plan on vacuuming it every three to six months. To make it a habit, vacuum the permanent filter every time you change your car’s oil or when you vacuum your upholstered furniture, drapes, or blinds.
Product Reviews from Customers:
• I bought this product for my son. He’s eight years old and suffers from allergies. He woke up every morning sneezing, and with a stuffy nose. I was looking for an alternative to giving him allergy medication every day. We keep it on the desk, right next to his bed. It’s incredibly quiet and it has helped his allergies a lot. After about a month of constant use on the medium setting, I vacuumed the filter. It was filthy. I was very impressed with how much dust it pulled from the air.
• Wanted a small appliance like this air purifier to use in separate bedrooms to stop dust/pollen/dander/dust mite poop or whatever debris lingers in the air from being inhaled during my loved ones sleep, this one works great and appears to really remove debris from the air. I am sure that higher priced air purifiers with expensive replacement filters work much better but we did not want to pay $$$ plus $$ for replacement filters three or four times a year.
On low the fan can barely be heard, medium is like a normal fan noise and is not bothersome at all (all of us stated we actually enjoy this white background noise), high would be too loud for most sleepers. Each of us that have one in their bedroom merely turn it on high an hour before bed, then turn it to medium for actual sleep time.
Can be laid on its side or stood straight up which is a nice choice to have based upon personal preference.
Filter is easy to remove and clean, just wish HB would have made the material surrounding the filter a bit sturdier as it is just thin cardboard so you have to be careful not to damage it when cleaning. I use the brush attachment on my vacuum cleaner and it works great. I highly doubt this filter would be permanent like HB claims after many repeated cleanings so we expect to replace it every couple of years just for good measure!
Overall I gave it 5 stars but it surely would not compete with a much more expensive Winix or Austinaire, regardless, IMHO, it is an exceptional value for the price.
Edited to add: FYI, to dramatically enhance the effectiveness of this unit, go to a Lowe’s or Home Depot type store and purchase a sheet (hammock filter) of the 3M Filtrete filters (about $18 bucks, the good ones, the type used to put over window air conditioners to trap allergens/dust). Cut a square large enough to put above/over the permanent filter on this unit, the Filtrete filter then takes most of the particles before it even hits this unit’s permanent filter. I have done this for 4 months, it does not damage or negatively affect the unit’s motor and you will be amazed how much stuff these little units take out of the air (with two filters, a Filtrete one and the one that comes with the unit). Best part of all, after two months, merely discard the 3M homemade filter and replace it with a new cut-out. I also discovered that I can merely lightly tap the unit’s permanent filter on a hard surface outside and it is ready to go for another two months. I think you could get about 16-18 cut-outs per sheet at $18 per sheet, it is enough to last 32-36 months (approximately 6 dollars a year).
• Our daughter has allergies and we’ve tried several different air purifiers. This is by far the best we’ve tried. It is much quieter than others, compact size, the filter is permanent, and it works great. We are getting another one for another room.
• Keep in mind that this model does not have an ionizer. In one of the pictures it shows an ionizer icon, so this can be misleading. I think this is an OK product for under 50 dollars, I don’t think other similar priced air cleaners would do much better or worse. It’s good for smaller rooms. And it isn’t silent on the lowest setting, unlike some reviewers said. The noise is similar to a fan on low speed or a refrigerator. Some people may like the “white noise” the low setting creates.
I noticed a small difference within 6 hours of use, but that may be my imagination. If people really want a dust free room, they need to clean carpets, walls, windows, curtains, blinds, air vents, bedding, etc. Also use a HEPA filter for your home and use some cheesecloth over all vents. Air cleaners will only clean what’s in the AIR. The majority of dust settles but occasionally does stir up.
• The Hamilton Beach True Air is an excellent device and a great value for its price. It is a simple setup: a powerful fan moves the room’s air through an air filter that does not need replacing (just regular vacuuming.)
This machine has a very respectable fan for its size, and 3 speed settings. The fastest one is as loud as you would expect any regular fan to be. The lowest speed is quiet enough you can ignore it’s there. Air flows in through the front of the unit and comes out at the top (when set horizontally) or the side when set upright (this is my setup of choice). As a bonus, this lateral airflow seems to move air in the room much better than anything else I’ve seen, and it helps during warm days to make the room feel 10 degrees lower. I prefer this unit to the room’s ceiling fan.
The filter seems constructed well enough to last a few years. It is definitely not water-safe as the filter encasing is made out of cardboard.
The unit I received DID NOT have ionizing capabilities.
This air purifier is nothing short of wonderful.
I have a cat to which I seem to be mildly allergic. He loves to hang around the bed with his dirty toys and his natural tendency to shed, and it used to seem next to impossible to keep the air quality in the room at a satisfactory level. I used to suffer of allergies for a couple of years and often woke up with a stuffy nose, a puffy face and feeling un-rested. Last year I bought an Ionic Pro hoping to improve the air quality in the room, and have seen a mild improvement because of it, but it was hardly a solution. A few weeks ago we went on vacation for 10 days and upon our return the air quality was so bad I had attacks of shortness of breath and went to bed miserable. That’s when I decided to try the Hamilton Beach True Air on Amazon, which arrived promptly.
As soon as the box arrived I got the unit setup and cranking on high in a matter of seconds. Although the room is larger than the suggested size (200 sf vs 160 recommended), within an hour the difference was very noticeable. The air felt fresh, clean and crisp. Ever since I bought this machine, the room has quickly turned from the stuff of nightmares to my favorite room in the home.
I would definitely recommend this air purifier to anyone, under any circumstance. It is largely a much better solution than the ionizer-based devices such as the Ionic Pro, which will most likely soon find its new home behind some boxes in the garage.
• I have tried four other air cleaners that turned out to be a waste of money. So when I got this unit I had little expectation about its effectiveness. BOY was I surprised! I set this up in my bedroom and after 24 hours ALL my allergy symptoms disappeared. I didn’t believe it, so being the skeptic that I am; I had to test it further. I turned the unit off. Two days later all my allergy symptoms returned. I turned the unit back on. Once again within 24 hours all my symptoms disappeared. Since then I have been living free of runny nose, sneezing, scratchy eyes and throat. I love this beauty. I bought one for my asthmatic nephew. He wound up quitting taking his meds for the first time in years. I also bought one for my 86 year old mother. She is now feeling more overall healthy, spry and energetic.
Far as I’m concerned this beauty is a minor miracle worker… and it’s a bargain price wise. I have been recommending this to all my relatives back east.