Honeywell 17000 Pure HEPA Air Purifier Review
About the Product:
The Honeywell 17000 Pure HEPA Air Purifier 17000 is recommended for filtering the air in a closed room as large as 168 square feet (12 by 14 feet). As it continuously circulates a room’s air–about six times per hour–it employs two filters to remove smoke, pollen, dust, animal dander, dust mites, molds, bacteria, viruses, and odors. Especially useful for asthmatics and allergy sufferers, the cleaner contains a true HEPA filter that is at least 99.97 percent effective at trapping extremely tiny particles (as small as 0.3 microns) while a pre-filter reduces odors. Honeywell’s IntelliCheck system permits monitoring the filters’ lives. Each filter has a button. Pressing a button activates a light, which blinks or shines steadily. One blink indicates that the filter has lots of life remaining, two blinks means less life, three blinks means even less, and a steady light indicates the filter needs changing. The HEPA filter lasts one to three years; the pre-filter, three months. Filter replacement is simple, and replacement filters can be ordered separately. The air cleaner has three speeds, and all are exceptionally quiet for an air cleaner this large and powerful. It carries a five-year warranty against defects. True HEPA filter removes 99.97 percent of all airborne particles from the air passing through the filter such as pollen, cat dander, and household dust.
• Dramatically reduces the number of allergens, odors and pathogens you breathe
• True HEPA filter captures 99.97 percent of common household airborne pollutants
• Soft-touch electronic controls with 3 speeds and indicator lights
• Includes a permanent HEPA filter which can be vacuumed
• Measures 16 by 13 by 17 inches and weighs 11.5 pounds; 5-year limited warranty
• Item is a 120V item and cannot be used in regions with voltage system 220-240V.
|Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier, 17000|
• Catches many airborne particles and customers have reported effective air filtering.
• Customers have reported noticeable cleaner air
• Filter can be vacuumed. (Replacements are also available)
• Some customers have complained about the noise it makes. If you are sensitive to noise, it may not be a good option for a bedroom.
Product Reviews from Customers:
• As someone who is highly allergic to cigarette smoke and other air pollutants and irritants, I purchased a round Honeywell HEPA air filter when it first came on the market several years ago. It still works well in the living room, but it is quite noisy even on its lowest setting.
This year I purchased another Honeywell air cleaner with a HEPA filter (Model 17400) for my bedroom because I had contacted bacterial pneumonia last year and wanted to make sure I did not get it again. Next, I purchased this Honeywell 17000 Air Cleaner (with HEPA filter) for use in a smaller bedroom which has been turned into a home office and library.
These air cleaners really work! This winter I have not had a cold or flu. Also, this Honeywell Air Cleaner with HEPA filter is whisper soft, and I have had no problems with sleeping, working, reading, watching TV, or listening to music when it is running on the low and medium settings. I leave it on all the time and I’ve found that it cleans the air best when the door is closed.
It has a convenient handle on the top, so I can move it to another room quite easily. Also, it is light enough that I can take it with me in the car if I want to use it away from home.
The pre-filters last about 3-6 months, (and they can be vacuumed often if you have pets that shed). I change my HEPA filter every year, but you can wait 3 years to do so. These filters are easy to change. The Model 17000 is for a smaller room, and the Model 17400 is for a larger space.
Highly recommended for anyone who has pets, who lives with or entertains people who smoke, and who is allergic to dust, molds, or pollens.
• This is my 2nd air purifier – the other was a comparable model by Holmes. I learned from my first air purifier that you really have to leave it on all the time or the revolving motor will collect dust, not work as well or as quietly. If I don’t want it on constantly, I just put a clean towel over the top to prevent any dust/dirt from building up.
The noise level is acceptable to me, in an 8×10 room. I usually leave it on LOW, which sounds a bit like a fan on low speed, but MED is good too – it has a nice white noise effect. I only put it on HIGH if there’s a bad smell or lots of dust floating around (for whatever reason). HIGH is a bit loud for my taste. This machine tends to rattle a bit as it sits on my bureau, but a small towel underneath it took care of that problem. Also, give it time to warm up when you put it on. It starts off slowly, but works at full speed within a few minutes.
I have allergies and noticed a difference immediately when I got this model. My symptoms have improved greatly, even with 3 cats in the house. I would recommend it to anyone who has a small space, doesn’t want to buy new filters and is perhaps on a budget. Good machine at a decent price.
• If you want a silent, useless air cleaner, go buy an overpriced Oreck or Sharper Image unit. It will reduce things like smoke and tiny, tiny particles, but forget it getting rid of dust. I know; I had one. If you want a unit that actually “Filters” the air, buy the Honeywell Pure HEPA 17000. Sure on Medium or High this unit will add background noise, but on low, it is hardly noticeable if the purifier is not right next to you. We noticed an immediate “crisp feel” to the air and huge reduction in dust in the air. My cough of 3 weeks is gone overnight. Coincidence… I think not.
• I bought this unit to try and assist the whole house air cleaner that we have on our central air system. I was amazed at how much dirt that this unit removed from our bedroom. While it does the job it is supposed to do, it is still a bit on the loud side even when placed on the lowest setting. I am not sure that there is any way around this noise as it is caused by the amount of air that the unit moves through the filter.
In many respects, getting used to the noise level of this unit is like getting used to the sound of a Grandfather clock. At first it is extremely irritating, but with time it becomes less noticeable. The important part is that it functions as advertised and it does remove a lot of material from the air. Since this is the function that I was after, it does what it was supposed to do. I can sleep again without all of the irritation that my allergies cause.
The secondary filter (carbon filter) really does need to be changed or vacuumed off every couple of months. This filter acts as a pre-filter for the main filter and will quickly fill with dust. As a suggestion, use a good vacuum with a HEPA filter to clean it with or you will just be sending dust back into your room. The carbon filter pack that Amazon sells works well and each filter will actually give you two filters since you need to cut each one in half to fit this unit (there are perforations in the filter to allow you to do this easily).
I am happy enough with this unit that I have just ordered another one to place in my home office. Remember, that this filter will only do a medium size room and will not be effective for a large room or for a whole house application!
The reason that I gave this a 4 out of 5 rating is that while the unit claims to be very quiet, that would be a matter of opinion and I think it is a bit on the loud side. However, I can live with it and you become used to it after a bit of time.