Whirlpool AP51030K Review – Air Purifier and HEPA Air Cleaner
Product Highlights of the Whirlpool AP51030K:
The Whirlpool AP51030K air purifier features a three-stage filtration system comprised of a pre-filter, carbon filter, and true HEPA filter. The air purifier’s outside grill acts as a permanent pre-filter by capturing large particles and preventing them from entering the unit. Large particles that find their way inside the unit are promptly caught by the carbon filter, which also works to eliminate unwanted odors and protect the life of the HEPA filter. At the heart of the Whirlpool AP51030k is true HEPA filtration. HEPA filters provide maximum filtration of your room’s air by removing up to 99.97% of particles that are 0.3 microns and larger. These particles include pet dander, dust mites, pollen, ragweed, mold spores, and other microscopic irritants that can damage your indoor air quality and aggravate allergy and asthma symptoms.
- Filters air 4.8 times per hour in a 500 square feet room
- Quiet and easy to use electronic controls
- True HEPA 0.3 micron filtration
- Clean Air Delivery Rate (CEDR) 315
- 4 Fan speeds, plus sleep and turbo modes
|Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier, HEPA Air Cleaner, AP51030K|
The Whirlpool AP51030K air purifier filters air 4.8 times per hour in a 500 square foot room. It is quiet and easy to use with electronic controls and features true HEPA 0.3 filtration and has a CADR of 315.
- I purchased the Whirlpool AP51030K after doing TONS of research and upon the recommendation of a major consumer testing and reporting magazine. My first impression of the unit was that it was way too big to fit unobtrusively in my living room; however, because the air is pulled in through the front grill and discharged from the top of the unit, I was able to push the purifier up against the wall to save space.The controls are simple to use. I find there to be plenty of options for fan speed (noise control). On the lowest setting I can watch TV at normal volume levels with the unit sitting three feet from me. After leaving the room it’s easy to ratchet it up to the TURBO mode which I leave it on most of the time when not using the living areas. I appreciate the indicators which tell you when the filter needs replacing, and roughly where it is at in terms of its lifespan (there are five lights to represent HEPA and pre filter status). I also appreciate the 5 year limited warranty that comes with the unit (see brochure for details).After 2.5 months of use I find that there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the air. It feels fresher, smells cleaner, and I can’t see dust flying through the air (which was a usual occurrence before the filter). At first I was hesitant to spend so much on a purifier which required an on-going investment each year; however, after spending 2.5 months with the first unit I’m going to order a 2nd unit for my bedroom. I don’t have allergies, but feel that the investment is well worth the reduced dusting, potential health benefits, and quality construction of the unit itself.
- I have asthma, terrible allergies, plus live in NYC apartment where battling dust and airborne allergens is a daily battle. The Whispure is life changing- when you walk into the bedroom you immediately feel how fantastic the air is. I will be buying a second one to filter the air in the rest of the apartment- FYI- when this arrived it was much bigger than I thought it would be- so check the dimensions so you don’t feel surprised by the size
- I have tried many HEPA filters. I’ve had this one for 8 years now, and still runs perfectly. I love my QUIET Whispure LARGE Air Purifier. IT really works GREAT! I would tell anyone to purchase this item.
Potential Drawbacks of the Whirlpool AP51030K:
While checking out the various reviews of the Whirlpool AP51030K we found there were a few areas of concern from a few reviewers.
- For some reviewers who were seeking to remove particularly heavy odors from the air in their homes it was brought up that the carbon filter in this unit was unable to completely rid the air of the smells.
- It was brought up that the Whirlpool AP51030K is a little large. This is true, and if space is a factor for you it may come with some concern. However, this particular model, due to the location of the fan and vents, is able to be placed up against a wall. Not all air purifiers are designed where they can be located as close to the wall as this air purifier can be placed.
- Lastly, the cost of the replacement filters was brought up. This is common for many true HEPA air purifiers. It appeared however, that the level of air purification achieved while using this model that the reviewers felt the cost of the replacement filters was not a major issue and was worth the price to be paid.
More Product Reviews
- Love this air filtration. I can really tell the difference at night with my breathing. My nose is not stuffy when I wake up in the morning. It’s not too loud. I am a light sleeper and I can sleep through it. It does have some air that blows out so put it in a corner and not close to you in the winter time. LOVE IT.
- We needed an effective air purifier when we found ourselves living in a camper for several months after our home burned. Research online had me choosing the Whirlpool AP51030K. A bit pricey but when you want something that really works; this is the unit for you. Filters are reasonable, too. With 2 smokers in a camper, this air purifier keeps the air clean and the smoke smell eliminated completely. We will continue to use it in our home.
- OK, so here’s my question – how has no one mentioned that this thing is essentially an air conditioning unit??? I think it works fantastically at getting all that dust out of the air, and I have noticed an amazing difference in sleeping. HOWEVER, now that it’s winter – you know, that season when your house is all closed tight and you /really/ need the air purifier – I have to turn it off because it’s turning my bedroom into an igloo! It cycles the air through, but it comes out freezing cold on the other end – totally unheating my bedroom.
The Bottom Line on the Whirlpool AP51030K Air Purifier
Overall the Whirlpool AP51030K appears to be a very solid air purifier for the money! However, please read the last review if you live in an area where it gets very cold during the winter because the unit does produce cold air. This could be a bonus however in a climate where it is hot all of the time.